Tuesday, March 3, 2009


Cooking Class, Whole Foods, Rachel Studer presiding.

INTRODUCTIONS: present are Rachel, Barbara, Clay, Naomi, Ric, Jerry, Ian, Liberty, Elise, Jeff, and Chica.

Ric asks if we will give money to the new equipment at Irving Park. It is moved, seconded, and passed that we will contribute $100.

January minutes were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS of upcoming meetings, including a conflict resolution workshop, a citizen advocacy workshop, a leadership meeting at King School, and a school leadership conference.


BYLAW REVISION, Judy Harrison.

A draft presented in the agenda needs further revision, especially on matters like the number of general meetings and when people are elected. Rachel recommends waiting to act on a revised draft at the next meeting. Ric has copies of old by-laws. Call Ric if you want one.


Liberty reports that she has introduced herself to some Sabin businesses, telling them about Parkways and other events. She reports the opening of a new drum shop in the Prescott business district near 15th. The recent opening had been a big event with drummers from well-known rock bands in attendance. The owner is community minded, providing a “place where people can come and hang out and bang on drums.” Drum-based visual art is displayed at the shop.

Liberty asked that the March issue of the newsletter ask residents about small home-based businesses in Sabin. Liberty wants to include a single page insert of a list of businesses divided by category in the future. She continues to make contacts for advertising and proposes to write an essay in the future about supporting local economy.

Ian asks about marketing blurb for home-based business. Liberty says she will supply.


Chica reported no bills and no expenditures. She does not know why there has been no recent bill for newsletter printing.


Jerry submitted the following proposal for funds:

The Unparalleled 2009 Sabin Spring Clean-up on May 16, 2009

February 9, 2009

The Sabin Clean-up Committee respectfully submits the following budget request to the SNA Board for consideration and funding. The Clean-up Committee views the following expenditures as essential for a thorough, efficient and successful clean-up effort.

Additionally, this SC-up Committee endeavor represents an expansion of clean-up scope by introducing new methodology for enhancing community awareness and participation. This ongoing effort is realized by posting print information in a timely manner at local business/civic locations; presenting actionable information to the Sabin Community utilizing its monthly neighborhood newsletter; developing an annual grant dissemination program that enhances the Sabin neighborhood by rewarding good ideas from well-founded organizations; and lastly, by actively soliciting citizen involvement in not only event coordination, but in the planning, expansion and implementation of appropriate initiatives that serve to mitigate pollution and purify the Sabin environment.

Budget Request

1. Community Awareness Messaging/Posters $250.00

2. 2009 Volunteer Tee-Shirts $300.00

3. Event Lunch/Snack for volunteers $75.00

4. Event Refreshments for volunteers $25.00

5. Sabin Neighborhood Association “Clean & Green” Grant $100.00

Total 2009 Clean-up Budget Request $750.00

The Sabin Clean-up Committee seeks funding immediately in order to move forward with this initiative. Both Betty and Jerry look forward and looks forward to working in concert with the Sabin Neighborhood Association Board to monitor, measure and report on the successes of the Spring 2009 clean-up event. Sincerely, Betty Walker & Jerry Channell, Sabin Clean-up Committee co-chairs
After considerable discussion of two items, the posters and t-shirts for the event, Ian moved to approve the proposal with the exception that t-shirts in the future be yellow, with no date, so they could carry over from year to year. Seconded by Naomi. The motion passed four to two, with one abstention.


UPDATE 2/9/09

January Results:

February newsletter released! Converted newsletter to Windows based program and released first newsletter.

Future activities

March newsletter – find a better software template

Add newsletter to SCA blog
Add Ian as contributing editor of blog
Layout proposal
Standard Features
Main feature
Upcoming events
Sabin school news
Sabin / SCA news
Clean-Up corner
Board notes
Ads – 1 page
Move to a beginning of month delivery by March:
Feb 20 – ideas and length submitted to Ian
Feb 27 – Final content
Mar 5 – Deliver to printer
Mar 6 – pick up to deliver to Sabin residents
Mar 13 – ideas and length submitted to Ian
Mar 20 – Final content
Mar 27 – Deliver to printer
Mar 31 – pick up to deliver to Sabin residents

Barbara asked if a few lines each moth in the newsletter about SCAPE will be included. Ian answered yes, a few lines.

The question is asked: shall there be ads on one page? Rachel knows of someone who might help make ad policy.

The calendar for publication of the newsletter was discussed. Ian wants to move it up a week so that there is more notice of the board meeting. Rachel says community calendar is hard to establish earlier. Rachel says it’s not particularly important to have the newsletter out ahead of the board meeting. She thinks it’s not a big deal one way or the other.

Liberty asks Jeff how soon after getting them a person who delivers the newsletter should get it done. “Within the week,” is his answer.

Ian says go with the current schedule for now to see if it works.

Liberty raises the issue of editor of the newsletter. She asks if the Board had been looking for a “production manager” rather than an editor, leaving Rachel editor of the newsletter. Ian says it doesn’t make any sense to have content coming to Rachel and then to him. Rachel says the two of them, Rachel and Ian, will work out the editorship and the appropriate division of labor.


Rachel brings up general meeting. Will it be about the environment.? It is decided this will be handled at the next meeting of the Environment Committee. See report of that meeting.


Liberty wants to help make all events, including those handled by other committees the best they can be. This is welcomed by the Board. There is more discussion of the general meeting in May, particularly how to attract more people to it. Liberty mentions the possibility for a Sabin component to the Parkway event, perhaps a post-celebration in the Hydro Park. Upcoming events include Sabin Clean-up, the Prescott Arts Fair, Sabin Annual Picnic, Movie in the Park, a Garden tour in September, the fall general meeting, and a holiday gathering.


Naomi encouraged Board members to look on the NECN web site to review recently funded grants. She reported attending a training for grant writing. She said she does not know what the Board would like to do for a project and asks for ideas. Rachel says the will look up what has been done about this in the past.


Sabin Community Association, Land Use and Transportation Committee
Meeting Notes February 9, 2009

Present: Ric Alexander, Elise Skolnick, Jeff Strang, Trent Thelen, Clay Veka, Kirke Wolfe, David Sweet

Fremont Pedestrian Safety: Trent showed preliminary drawings of a design for a pedestrian crosswalk on Fremont and 10th Avenue, at Irving Park. Because there is likely no funding available from Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) Trent is designing an application for a Green Streets Grant from the Bureau of Environmental Services. The design would include curb extensions and bio-swales to receive storm water. This design could work at either 9th or 10th Avenues. Trent will also work on designs for a crosswalk and a bike corral near 14th and Fremont to serve the businesses there. We will want to enlist the support of the King and Irvington neighborhoods for this application. David will contact them and try to arrange meetings for himself and Trent.

NE Coalition LUTC et al.: David Sweet reported on a few items from recent meetings

David and Elise recently attended a City-sponsored workshop on The ABC’s of Land Use. There was some good information about how to be effective in responding to land use proposals. (Note: This workshop will be repeated at NECN, tentatively scheduled for April 25. Sign-up details available soon.)

The City is currently reviewing its tree policies with an eye toward consolidating and updating codes and standards. It is not clear if this effort will go forward with next year’s budget cuts. For more information, see http://www.portlandonline.com/planning/treeproject.

Vision and goals: There is interest in updating/rewriting the Sabin Neighborhood Plan that was adopted almost 20 years ago. David will check with our NE neighborhood planner, Debbie Bischoff to see if any assistance is available through the Portland Plan. (Note: I checked with Debbie, and the answer is, “no.”)

Kirke notes that any new planning effort should include a neighborhood survey or similar outreach, and urban nature considerations, such as habitat & naturescaping.

Board Liaison: David has a conflict that will keep him from giving LUTC reports to the Board. Jeff volunteered to act as Board Liaison to the LUTC.

Respectfully submitted,
David Sweet

Request for every Board members to volunteer for at least one committee or take other SCA responsibility, Rachel Studer.

BOARD EXERCISE -Paige Coleman, Exec. Dir. of NE Coalition of Neighborhoods, presented an exercise to vision the upcoming year and establish procedures for committees and board to communicate and make decisions.

Paige briefly described NECN and what if offers the neighborhoods but quickly moved on to the matter at hand, a vision for Sabin. She asked for words from each person in that regard. The responses:

Sustainability. What exactly? Environmental. Green streets. Pedestrians. Bikers. Affordable housing.

Diversity: wealthier folks and poorer folks living side by side. Ethnic groups. Family units, households.

Community building: social networks, multi-cultural; inter-generational.

Liveability: affordable; community appreciation. Wealth creation. Parks. Schools. Improving services. Shops and accessibility.

Community: meeting each others needs; knowing each other.

Traditions--developing them; maintaining them.

Prefer virtues to values: tolerance, humility, reverence, confidence, ongoing learning.


Historic preservation.

Families: supporting schools.

Families: supporting families through valuing mothers and supporting them, creating families that feel confident, safe, and able to care for their children, their new babies.

Identity. “I want more than anything to know my neighbors. They know me. I know them. They are going to look after our kids. Welcoming new people, valuing the old. Sabin is still looking for its identity.”

Economic self-sufficiency: home businesses. and local commercial businesses. Barter. Exchange of services and goods.

Paige says this exercise is useful because ideas often form as these words are spoken. There is some general discussion of these words. Some words are added: Advocacy.
Sense of community. Connectedness among neighborhoods. Pet friendliness. Good times. Welcoming. Input into city-wide decision making.

What is the next step? Elise says a neighborhood plan. There is general agreement about this and the suggestion that the upcoming general meeting “help to define better who we are.”

We should solicit the neighborhood in this endeavor through newsletter and the blog, looking, as Clay put it, to define the community and to create its vision.

Next meeting: Monday 9 March.

General meeting: Monday 27 April.

The meeting was adjourned.

Sabin Community Association Board Meeting minutes for 12 January 2009

Location: Cooking Class, Whole Foods. 7 -9 pm. Rachel Studer presiding.

In attendance were Naomi Lambertson, Jerry Channell, Betty Walker, Ric Alexander, Ian Lomax, Jeff Strang, Rachel Studer, Chika Saeki, Clay Veka, Liberty Wilson, Lauren McCartney, Barbara Conable.

During introductions and greetings , Ric Alexander reported that his Sabin property had been broken into and valuable items stolen. We extend our sympathy to Ric for his losses.

PRESENTATION: SUNDAY PARKWAYS, Janis McDonald, Transportation Options Project Manager, City of Portland Office of Transportation, 503-823-5358, janis.mcdonald@pdxtrans.org. Janis reported that, in 2008 in the first Sunday Parkways, six miles of streets had been closed for activities and thousands of people had participated. Patterned after a similar event in Bogata, Columbia, Sunday Parkways has been imitated also in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, El Paso, and Seattle.

In 2009, the date for Sunday Parkways in Northeast Portland is 19 July, from 9-4, with similar events elsewhere on 21 June and 16 August. The closed-off area overlaps only slightly with the Sabin community on the north side--on Going Street between 17th and 22nd--but that may be enough to encourage participation. The project is looking for involvement from the neighborhoods, for funders, and for hundreds of volunteers. Arbor Lodge, for instance, is contributing musicians, stage crew, and d.j.’s. Rachel asked if there are art fairs associated with the event, and the answer was that there are, but on the periphery of the closed blocks.

Rachel wondered about using the Hydropark for Sabin involvement and Jeff wondered the same about the proposed Going bike corridor. Liberty Wilson, as events coordinator, will consider Sabin involvement in the event so that planning can be done at future Board meetings. Rachel suggested that Janis keep us posted about the contributions of other neighborhoods. Janis called that “a great idea,” and described the extensive publicity that the event will enjoy.

Betty Walker asked about the Sabin art fair and Judy replied that it would be around the third week in June, the exact date to be determined.

MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 2008 BOARD MEETING. Distributed and accepted.

TREASURER’S REPORT. Chika Saeki gave the Treasurer’s Report as follows:

Balance as of Nov. 10, 2008. $3873.04.

Income. Ads - $180.00; Donation from Kenneth and Jane Gravel, $25.00: total income $205.00. Balance then: $4078.04.

Expenditures. Amy Hunter $13.51 (general mtg), $160.00 (holiday party); Barbara Conable $21.27 (invitations): total expenditures: $194.78.

Balance as of 12 January, $3883.26.

WELCOME TO THE NEW BOARD. Rachel observed in the written agenda that, “We will probably need to be stricter with attendance because of pressure of folks wanting to serve.” Nasir Najieb and Naomi Lambertson were accepted by the Board as Members at Large by unanimous vote.


BUSINESS LIAISON - Liberty Wilson;
BYLAW REVISION - Judy Harrison;
CLEANUP - Jerry Channell, 4106 NE 16th Ave. 97211, 503 282 7584, bionchan@onemain.com; Betty Walker, 3124 NE 17th Ave. 97212, 503 281 1768, no email.
COMMUNICATIONS - Ian Lomax, 1102 NE Shaver 97212, 503 724 8433, sabin.communications @ gmail.com;
EVENTS - Liberty Wilson;
ENVIRONMENT-Trent Thelen, 3512 NE 12th Ave. 97212, 503 417 4459, trentthelen@hotmail.com;
LAND USE AND TRANSPORTATION - David Sweet, 4520 NE 19TH AVE. 97211, 503 493 9439, david @sabingreen.net;
PUBLIC SAFETY -Nasir Najieb;
representative to NORTHEAST COALITION: David Sweet.

The agenda for the meeting read, “All Board members should serve on at least one committee or take other SCA responsibility.”


BUSINESS LIAISON. Liberty reported that she intends to create a Sabin Business Directory which will include the many home businesses within Sabin. She will address the availability of business ads in Sabin material to see if it might be expanded. Liberty recommends that the current Sabin brochures be rapidly used so that the brochure can be updated and smaller printings made in the future to allow for more frequent correction. She intends to be in personal contact with business owners. She will meet with Ian to see how she might work with the Communications Committee to support Sabin businesses. Rachel observed that we need to thank Whole Foods for our meeting space. Jerry raised the issue of business conduct, implying that SCA might need a Code of Conduct for businesses, or “good neighbor agreements.”

BYLAW REVISION. Judy Harrison reported that work would begin soon on the revision with the help of the NECN, a draft to be presented to the Board in February or March.

CLEANUP. Jerry and Betty distributed an agenda which asked to “establish a monthly clean-up column” in the newsletter of approximately two hundred and fifty words. Nine possible subjects for the column were proposed. A teaser was requested for the February and March editions of the newsletter, as was a coupon for April to promote the annual clean-up event. Funding for the committee was discussed under the agenda heading: Ongoing Funding of Clean-up Committee endeavors. Rachel referred the Board to an 8 December 2008 letter from Jerry which stated, “Thirdly, because we envision using funds on an on-going basis for promoting Clean-up Committee efforts, we wish to develop an annual budget that is earmarked exclusively for our efforts. We view the spring Clean-up event as a specialized revenue creating event and believe most of the funds generated should be directed to efforts that enhance and develop solutions....” After some discussion of the proposal, including the observation that the Board is obligated by its by-laws to oversee the work of standing committees, it was agreed that the Clean-up Committee would submit a proposed budget to the Board at its next meeting. A final agenda item with regard to the committee’s contacting a Metro representative to speak at a Board meeting was not discussed nor was an item which proposed a name change for the committee, suggesting: Sabin Reuse, Recycling and Refuse Committee, Sabin Recycling and Clean-up Committee, or The Sabin Community Association Clean-up and Repurposing Committee.

COMMUNICATIONS. This is a new committee to include publicity and promotion for Sabin, writing and publishing the newsletter, and the creation and maintenance of a Sabin website. Ian Lomax, the committee’s chair, is soliciting new members, stating, “This is a lot of effort,” and “I can’t do this all by myself.” Indeed. Think if you know someone within the community to ought to be on Ian’s committee.

ENVIRONMENT. Barbara Conable presented a written report as follows: Members: Trent Thelen, Chair; Barbara Conable, Vice-chair; Kim Lomax, Sabin coordinator for Friends of Trees. Meetings are the last Monday of each month at 6 pm at the Whole Foods at Fremont and 15th in the Cooking Class area. The committee’s purpose is to promote environmental stewardship in the Sabin neighborhood by providing resources and information for residents about sustainable practices in their homes and in the community; to enhance the Sabin neighborhood's outdoor spaces; to initiate environmental projects for the benefit of the neighborhood. It’s projects are: February Friends of Trees planting, coordinated by Kim Lomax; Trent Thelen’s special project to be announced; Trent Thelen to provide oversight of the Hydropark and to some degree the Irving Park, especially the proposed replacement of climbing apparatus in the play area; S.C.A.P.E., the Sabin Curb Appeal Property Enhancement group, experienced Sabin gardeners available to help Sabin residents who need assistance. First meeting in Jan. At least one of us will train to be a Neighborhood Tree Steward. We will find ways to help with Sabin School’s outdoor projects. We will pursue the dream of a tour of Sabin gardens and sustainable homes.

LUCT. Land Use and Transportation Committee Meeting Notes January 12, 2009. Present: Ric Alexander, Jeff Strang, Trent Thelen, Clay Veka, Kirke Wolfe, David Sweet. Vision and goals: We had an informal discussion about our vision for the Sabin Neighborhood and the role of the LUTC. In addition to responding to development proposals in Sabin, we hope to proactively encourage development that maintains and enhances the livability of Sabin. The Portland Plan, the City’s new comprehensive planning effort, may offer opportunities to guide future development in Sabin. The following are some of the ideas that were expressed by individual committee members during brainstorming. These are preliminary thoughts, and this discussion will continue at future meetings.

Retain the diversity of Sabin by encouraging a range of economic choices in housing.

Promote increased density as a strategy to make housing more affordable.

Encourage creativity and individuality in housing design.

Promote green building and sustainable living.

Consider possible expansion of the Fremont commercial district.

David Sweet reported on a few items from recent meetings of the NECN Land Use Committee.

PDC is studying the possibility of extending Urban Renewal Area boundaries up Alberta and Killingsworth Streets. This could result in infrastructure improvements and the availability of low-interest loans to businesses and homeowners.

The Portland Streetcar System Plan Study is wrapping up. The Plan, to be presented to the Planning Commission and City Council this spring, will include possible routes for eventual expansion of the Portland Streetcar. Northeast routes currently under consideration include MLK, Killingsworth, Alberta, Broadway/Weidler, and Sandy.

At the request of the SCA, the Going Street Bicycle Boulevard was endorsed by the NECN Board in a letter to City Commissioners.

Transportation Agenda: Rachel has asked that someone else take the lead in pursuing the priorities established by the SCA in March 2008. Trent and Clay agreed to work together on this. Trent plans to apply for a Green Streets grant for Fremont which would include the pedestrian improvements we have requested.

We discussed the Traffic Engineer’s report on pedestrian safety at 15th and Prescott. Trent will draft a letter thanking PDOT for the response and the recommended signage, and looking forward to the realignment of the crosswalk in the near future.

Respectfully submitted,
David Sweet

PUBLIC SAFETY. A written report from Nasir of the NE Coalition safety meeting on 8 November, including a presentation about finding ways to enforce laws against posting flyers to corner polls given by Marcia Dennis, Graffiti Abatement Coordinator, mdennis@ci.portland.or.us. Additional items in the report were about the postponement of police appreciation day to make it more inclusive of the night officers, a public safety evaluation of Humboldt Middle School, gun turn-in day in the Cully Neighborhood, a home invasion in the Alameda area, an increase in violent crimes within the Portland Metro area, and more car burglaries. Residents are cautioned to remove all belongings from cars on the street.

EVENTS. It was noted that the SCA Holiday Gathering had been a well-attended success.

FUND-RAISING. Newly appointed Member at Large Naomi Lambertson will serve as a fund-raising/financial overseer for the SCA (title to be invented).

NEW BUSINESS. Should Sabin have a dialogue about Sabin identity and mission? Ian Lomax volunteered to consider this issue as part of the task of promoting the Sabin neighborhood. Lauren said she would help.

Lauren gave some announcements from NECN. The first was about two upcoming grant opportunities from Vision into Action and Village Building Convergence.
The Village Building Convergence will be accepting applications for this year’s projects that will take place in the summer. This organization does “green” community building projects. You can find an application and more information here: http://www.cityrepair.org/wiki.php/projects/vbc9#host.a.vbc.site. The deadline is coming up fast (January 29th)!

The second, Vision into Action grants: Gabrielle Buvinger-Wild, Vision into Action Grants Coordinator, 503-823-9589 gabrielle.buvinger-wild@ci.portland.or.us. “Vision into Action will award grants of up to $20,000 to community and neighborhood projects. Larger awards of $15,000 to $20,000 will be reserved for projects that facilitate active partnerships between two or more groups. Through the Community Action Grants, VIA hopes to encourage a greater level of collective community action in the realization of Portland's shared vision. Projects will reflect the Portlander's core values identified through the visionPDX process: Community Connectedness and Distinctiveness, Equity and Accessibility, Sustainability, Accountability and Leadership, Inclusion and Diversity, Innovation and Creativity, Safety.

Lauren invited members to attend the monthly luncheon with Sylvia Evans at NECN and the monthly event for Boards, which will be next in the evening of 2 February but probably subsequently on Friday mornings. Contact Lauren: lauren@necoilition.org.

The meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Barbara Conable,


by Rachel Studer

Hearty approval of this project by the SCA Land Use &
Transportation Committee led to a letter to the NE Coalition’s LUT Committee, which in turn reached city ears. Following action by7 the mayor, Portland Bureau of Transportation bike official, Roger Geller, confirmed that work would start “any day now,” with Phase I, installing new signage. This will include reversing stop signs so that bike traffic will be unimpeded, also signs identifying the bike boulevard.

Later phases will address traffic calming devices.

Federal Stimulus dollars will be used for Phase I. Getting these funds so early suggests considerable alertness and skill on the part of people who advocate for bikesas well the high status of the bicycle in Portland.

When asked if there will be signs on Prescott nudging bikers toward Going, SCA LUCT chair, David Sweet said no, but that the community can use all forms of publicity to get that message across. For example, the Sunday Parkways on July 19 would offer a chance to discourage bikes on Prescott.


by Rachel Studer

David Sweet, chair of the SCA Land Use & Transp Comm., attended one of the TriMet Open Houses to allow folks to ask about the cutbacks proposed to solve the $13 million payroll shortfall. The LUCT has taken a position opposing the elimination of Bus 33-Fremont, ande has asked the LUCT of the NE Coalition to do the same.

At the Open House, Tom Mills, the TriMet official who previously attended an SCA Board meeting to explain another TriMet action, said that more comments were received opposing cutting 33 than any other measure. The reason for the cut is not low ridership but that riders should be able to walk to alternate buses, ones that travel north/south and connect with the MAX. A large issue is that there will be a reduction of service to Eman uel Hospital, involvi9ng one to two transfers.

David said, “It is tragic that cuts are being made just now when ridership is up, and there is greater than ever need to serve people with low incomes and fewer options.” Rosemary Cordello asked how much could be saved by eliminating Fareless Square. Answer $3-5 million. “At least this would make up a third of the deficit,” she said.

David says that the plan to cut 33 might be scrapped if there is enough public pressure. He asked that people contact TriMet during March. The final decisions will be made in June, with implementation on Sept. 1. Send comments to: comments@trimet.org; 503-962-5806, TTY 503-238-5811; TriMet-MK2, 4012 SE 17th, Portland 97202.

Also keep watching for dates of public hearings - “Every voice counts,” says David.